My Favorite Series (Ever!)


My favorite series of all time is Survivor's Law. It was the perfect combination of drama and comedy and it also had a great cast. There were four main characters (Raymond Lam, Myolie Wu, Sammul Chan, and Bernice Liu) in which the series showcased each character's strengths and weaknesses and made you care about all of them. It also had a great love triangle/square that progressed quite nicely. This series is the main reason that I am a BIG Rayolie fan! Everything about them was so cute and I loved every scene they were in together. I was always anxious to watch what was next even if nothing "big" was happening because it's more character driven rather thn plot drive. In fact, the whole storyline was that way because it never seemed like the pace went too slow or too fast, where cases are interwoven in an interesting way. While a lot of detective/lawyer series have individual cases, the characters are somewhat forgotten to solve the mystery. For these cases, they move along the whole story while revealing why each character is the way they are.

Because I love this series so much, I can overlook some of the weaker acting (Bernice), and that's why the four of them are some of my favorite actors. I could go over my favorite parts of the series but then I would just be repeating the whole thing! There are so many highlights for me but I guess the main one would be when Raymond is trying to knit Myolie's purse and scarf! So cute!

The ending was also perfect to me, and that's why I choose to ignore that Survivor's Law 2 ever happened. haha. I hated the sequel for many reasons, though I'm sure if I never watched the first one, I might have enjoyed it more. The main thing was that it ruined the happily ever after when they could have just done a sequel with all new characters or something. Also, Sammul's hair is hideous in the second one!

In general, if you've never seen this series before, I highly reccommend it! Here's the summary from Yesasia (since I'm bad at summarizing! hehe):

From Files of Justice to Legal Entanglement, TVB has found quite a bit of success with legal dramas, and one of the most memorable recent entries in the genre has to be the 2003 series Survivor's Law. Featuring four up-and-coming stars in the leading roles, Survivor's Law turned into a surprisingly big hit, confirming the rise of TVB's next generation. Raymond Lam, Sammul Chan, Myolie Wu, and Bernice Liu star as rookie lawyers of very different backgrounds and personalities who end up at the same law firm and battle out challenging court cases together. The entertaining drama's great supporting cast includes veterans Hui Siu Hung, Liu Kai Chi, Felix Lok, and Helen Tam; other young stars like Sharon Chan, Chris Lai, Kenneth Ma, and singer Juno Mak in his one TVB drama; and movie actress Ruby Wong in a rare television appearance. Survivor's Law returned for a second season in 2007 with a slightly different cast.

With his casual dress, unconventional work methods, and laidback attitude, Lok Bun (Raymond Lam) doesn't exactly fit into the usual image of a lawyer, but he has a warm heart and a head full of unexpected ideas. The polar opposite of Lok Bun, Ching Ling (Myolie Wu) is extremely serious and thorough about her work, but sometimes lets emotions affect her judgment. A rising star in the field, the ambitious and strong-minded Wai Ming (Sammul Chan) becomes colleagues with Lok Bun and Ching Ling because he wants to escape the restrictions and hierarchy of a big firm. Completing the team is timid Si Ga (Bernice Liu) who puts love before work. The four young lawyers go through the trials and triumphs of practicing law together, but their friendship is put to the test by romantic conflicts, career ambitions, and cases that hit too close to home.

No comments:

Post a Comment